The answer lies in the fact that turmeric has a natural component called curcumin that has the ability to fight many disorders. Curcumin has been famous in ancient Indian as well as Chinese medicine for playing a very vital role in treating the smallest to a more serious ailment. It is a multi-targeted agent which means that it plays multiple roles in fighting various diseases. With reference to the topic, curcumin is also seen as a potent cancer killer as it can prevent as well as reverse cancer by the virtue of the amazing qualities it possesses.
Significant Properties of Turmeric that help to Beat Cancer
- Targets molecular pathways that give rise to cancer cells– Studies have shown that one of the reasons as to why cancer occurs in the very first place is due to disturbances in the cell signalling pathways. This disruption in the signalling pathways cause the cells to become immortal and hyperproliferative causing the spread of these rogue cells through the various parts of the body. Curcumin also keep the transcription factors, inflammatory proteins etc under proper check so that they don’t go haywire and cause cancer.
- Prevents damage to DNA– DNA is the genetic material in the nucleus of every cell in our body which controls every activity. When it gets damaged, the functioning of the cells gets affected and could be one of the reasons for the development of cancer. Curcumin protects the DNA from the damage
causedue to many environmental factors like radiation exposure, toxins etc.
- Stimulates apoptosis- Apoptosis is nothing but the programmed cell death. Curcumin promotes apoptosis in cancer cells.
- Stabilizes and normalizes the ideal cell growth- Curcumin is very well-known in restoring the normal growth levels. It also reverses uncontrolled reproduction of the cancer cells which have become malignant. In a way, we can say that curcumin turns on the genes that prevent excess cell growth and turns off the genes that give rise to uncontrolled cell division.
- Curcumin is also known to increase the efficiency of the immune system since it a good immunomodulatory agent. In such a case, the immune system can prevent the cancer rogue cells from attacking the normal cells of the immune system and also increases its ability to sense and destroy cancer cells.
- Since curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties, it reduces inflammation which is one of the major causes of cancer in the body.
- Studies have also shown that curcumin makes cancer stem cells more sensitive to treatment which decreases the rapid growth of cancer cells.
- It also prevents cancer from spreading to other parts of the body by preventing the malignant tissues from sticking to the walls of the blood vessels. This prevents the process of metastasis.
- In case the patient is already suffering from cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy, curcumin can visibly reduce the visible side effects of cancer treatment like fatigue, nausea, vomiting etc.
Consuming turmeric regularly can help in curbing cancer to a large extent.