It is an old age Egyptian belief that eating mushrooms brings long life!
While this theory was not scientifically backed by then, scientists in the modern times are working relentlessly in trying to investigate the various medicinal properties of mushroom.
A study conducted by University of Western Australia in Perth on 2000 Chinese women says that only about half of them suffered from breast cancer.
The eating habits of these women were observed along with other parameters that contribute to cancer like lack of exercise, being overweight and smoking. The finding about mushrooms were mind boggling.
It was found that women who ate at least a third of an ounce of fresh mushrooms everyday were 65% less prone to developing breast cancer.
In another study, it was found that eating dried mushrooms had a lesser protective effect , reducing the risk only by about half.
Even better were the findings in women who combined mushrooms with green tea as they experienced even greater health benefits , reducing the incidences of breast cancer by about 89%.
What gives mushrooms its cancer fighting properties?
Mushrooms are good at fighting cancers as they are found to inhibit the production of an enzyme called aromatase which produced estrogen.
Along with pomegranate, mushrooms are one of the very few food items which inhibit the production of aromatase. . There are several varieties of mushrooms like the common white button and portebello mushrooms have been found to have astounding anti aromatase activities.
The anticancer effects of mushrooms are not just limited to cancers caused due to the fluctuations in the hormonal levels. They are also found to have special lectins that can recognize the cancer cells and prevent the cancer cells from further growing and dividing.
Which variety of mushrooms is best to prevent cancer?
Many kinds of mushrooms exist and the research on the understanding of their anticarcinogenic and helps in reducing properties is catching up speed those still in examination stage.
Along with button mushrooms, white, crimini, shitake, oyster, maitake, portabella, Turkey tail and reishi mushrooms all of them contain certain bioactive compounds that have been known for their excellent cancer fighting properties.
The phytochemicals in these mushrooms have antiproliferative and anticancer effects that have been studied till now in relation to colorectal stomach breast and prostate cancer.
As per research white button mushrooms or big white mushrooms the stuffing mushrooms are the best for the prevention of breast cancer. So, start eating white mushrooms daily and it can turn out to be a significant step to fight breast cancer.
Tips to enjoy mushrooms in your diet
Mushrooms are known to add special flavours and textures as well as enhance the taste of a variety of dishes and the best part is that the work in combination with a lot of food groups.
Mushroom should never be eaten raw to avoid toxins and the best way to read the health benefits is to cook them completely and make up make it a part of your diet almost daily if possible. It is also suggested to never pickup wild mushrooms unless and until one is very short that they can be consumed.
Here are some plant based mushroom soup recipe from a famous recipe blogger Jessica layers of garden fresh foodie.
Preparation time for 25 minutes
Time 2 hours
Number of servings 8
- 34 pound mushrooms slice
- One and half cut onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- One piece tbsp means garlic about 223 clothes
- 1 cup oats
- One and half teaspoon dry chilli
- One and half teaspoon dried thyme
- One and half teaspoon sea salt
- Half teaspoon black paper
- Two small bay leaves
- 7 to 8 cups water
- 3 cups cabbage
- Juice of 1 one whole lemon or as per taste
- ¼ cups fresh parsley
- Greens like spinach, kale and fresh herbs
- Saute onions still they are translucent in hot pot add little more water to prevent sticking
- Add in carrots mushroom salary and sauté for about 3 minutes still they are softened
- Add in groups salt pepper bay leaves and water. Boil it and reduce 02cinema continue cooking for about 1 hour
- Add cabbage and continue to cook until oats have completely swollen for about another half an hour to one hour.
- Add fresh lemon juice parsley and greens before serving additional seasoning with salt and pepper can be done.
- The soup can we serve very well in combination with breast salad fresh salad.
Barley contains gluten so use gluten free oats to ensure this recipe is gluten free.
- Good source of vitamin c 33% daily news antioxidants in vitamin C help to pump up immunity and bring down inflammation in the body.
- Rich in fibre this soap is great for reducing the bad LDL cholesterol ,lowering blood sugars, improving digestion and in making you feel full
- Good source of vitamin A: 97% daily needs persevering it is great for reducing inflammation detoxifying the body improving ski, nail, eye and hair health.
- Great source of potassium 530mg potassium it is important for the functioning of kidney and nervous system and also lowers heart rate and blood pressure
- Good source of plant based iron 13% daily needs it is vital for oxygenation of the blood
- Healthy source of plant based calcium 7% daily needs this is needed for good dental and bone health.