Many of us are Salman Khan fans but he is considered the epitome of bodybuilding in India which has set a huge pace for many men to get into the field of gyming and bodybuilding. Yes, building muscles is not an easy task and it requires a dedicated effort and time working out along with a nutritious diet. A lot of young men these days have resorted to consuming whey protein to build muscle mass. So what is this way protein that we talking about? Whey protein is a supplement which is taken alongside resistant exercise which helps to improve muscle protein synthesis and promotes the growth of lean muscle mass.
Have you ever wondered where this way protein actually comes from? Milk is made up of two proteins whey and casein.
Whey protein is thought to be a complete protein as it contains many essential amino acids and is also low in its lactose content. Whey protein is nothing but the protein contained in the watery portion of milk that separates from curds when making a cheese called whey. Whey protein also shows has certain positive effects on our immune system.
Whey protein is typically used in the form of a powder and can be added to liquids or soft foods and taken easily. It is taken commonly to improve the athletic performance and also to sort out some nutritional deficiencies.
There are three main types of whey protein:
- Whey protein concentrate – this contains low levels of fats and carbohydrates the percentage of protein in WPC depends on its concentration.
- Whey protein hydrolysate- it is the predigested form of whey protein as it has undergone partial hydrolysis which makes it easy for the body to absorb the protein.
- Whey protein isolate- this whey is formed by a process of removing all the fat and the lactose. whey protein isolate is usually at least 90% protein.
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of using whey protein:
- Whey helps in weight loss- research has shown that many people who consumed whey protein loss significant amount of body fat and showed greater preservation of lean mass.
- Many studies have found that way also helps in lowering the cholesterol levels in overweight men and women.
- As mentioned earlier, whey has some effects on our immune system as well it has been seen that whey protein could improve the immune system in children down with Asthma.
- Whey protein is also found to significantly reduce blood pressure in patients with hypertension thus, reducing the risk of heart diseases or stroke.
- Few studies found out that whey protein can also help to reduce weight loss which is commonly seen in patients affected by HIV/ AIDS.
- Few evidences also show that consuming whey protein regularly can help to reduce symptoms of the red scaly skin for plaque psoriasis.
- Research also suggests that taking a drink which contains whey protein daily for 2 year improves bone density and prevents osteoporosis.
- Whey protein is mainly taken to build muscle mass. Some evidence suggests that taking whey protein as a part of strength training program increases the muscle mass and strength it also may help in the speedy recovery of muscles after intense workout session.
The flip side of consuming whey protein should also not be ignored as there are many possible dangers while consuming whey protein. It is normally seen that people who are allergic to milk may also be allergic to whey. Consuming a high dosage of whey can cause bloating, nausea, stomach upset and painful cramps. Excess of whey protein can also lead to acne in some people.
The recommended dosage is 1 or 2 scoops that are 25 to 50 grams of whey protein per day, only taken after workouts. One must keep in mind that if protein intake is already high, adding additional whey protein to your current diet is not required. People who are already suffering from kidney or liver issues may want to avoid whey protein or consult a medical professional before taking it.
A few points to be taken into consideration while taking whey protein are:
- One must avoid using whey protein if you are taking albendazole which is a parasite killing drug as it may delay or hinder the effects of the drug.
- Using whey protein with certain antibiotics like in quinolone and tetracycline can significantly reduce their absorption into the body.
By the end of it, we can say that whey protein is a healthy way to add more protein to your diet and is particularly important for athletes bodybuilders or people who want to gain muscle mass and strength and lose fat.