The overall health of the female reproductive system depends on the state of its each and every part. A healthy vagina is one of them and has a mixed culture of bacteria and certain yeast cells. When the balance in the population of bacteria and yeast cells is disturbed, the yeast cells increase in number causing a condition called a vaginal yeast infection, candidiasis or vulvovaginal candidiasis. It cannot be considered a sexually transmitted disease, as even women who are sexually inactive can get this yeast infection. The irony of the matter is that once a woman gets this infection, there are likely chances of getting it again.
Signs and Symptoms of Infection of Genitals are as follows:
- Soreness or pain in the vaginal opening
- Sensation of itching, burning and irritation in the vagina or vulva ( tissue surrounding the vagina)
- Burning during urination and sexual intercourse
- Thick, white and odourless discharge resembling cottage cheese. At times, the discharge may be watery too.
If the above symptoms are not treated on time, the infection may become severe. There can be severe swelling and redness leading to skin fissures and sores. In few cases, yeast infection can affect men too especially the head of the penis and show redness, discharge and irritation.
As mentioned above, the fungus Candida is a naturally residing fungus in the vaginal area and the bacteria Lactobacillus maintains an environment which is responsible for keeping its growth under check. The most common form of fungus in such cases is Candida albicans. The overgrowth of fungus causes the vaginal infection.
The following factors are responsible for this imbalance and thus overpopulation of Candida.
- Weak immune system
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Antibiotics that kill the good Lactobacillus bacteria)
- Stress and lack of sleep
- Hormonal imbalance
- Consumption of excessive sugar and poor dietary habits.
- Any activity like douching that can change the normal vaginal flora.
The diagnosis of the vaginal yeast infection is done by performing a pelvic examination to inspect the vagina, vulva and cervix for infection. A sample of vaginal discharge may be used for laboratory testing. A swab test of the vagina can reveal if the levels if yeast in the vagina are on the higher side. This helps the physician to ascertain if the vaginal infection is an uncomplicated or a complicated one.
For the treatment of simple infections, doctors will prescribe a course of antifungal cream, tablet or ointment like clotrimazole, miconazole, fluconazole and terconazole.
In case the vaginal infection is a complicated one, then one is given a long term prescription of fluconazole to be taken once a week for six weeks or long term use of a topical antifungal infection. If the infection comes back again and again, it is always advisable to get the partner also treated for fungal infection.
Incorporating Shemeric, a product from Bagdara Farms in the daily routine can help to fight off vaginal yeast infections to a large extent. It has the goodness of curcumin and turmerone that have therapeutic properties and are helpful in many ways.
Ways in which Curcumin helps in Vaginal Yeast Infection
- Curcumin strengthens the immune system by increasing the counts of CD4 and CD8 glycoproteins that are required to fight off any kind of infection in the body.
- The ability of curcumin to induce oxidative stress and thus, apoptosis in yeast cells goes a long way in preventing candidiasis.
- Supplements enriched with curcumin were found to lower the resistance of yeast infected cells to treatment with antifungal medications like flucanozole, thus making the treatment more foolproof.
- Calcineurin is a protein which is involved in the synthesis and maintenance of fungal cell wall. Curcumin can down regulate the expression of this calcineurin protein.
- The destruction of the gene TUP- 1involved in DNA synthesis by curcumin prevents the fungal cell division.
- The oropharyngeal candidiasis can be reduced by regular consumption of curcumin .
- Studies have shown that curcumin destroys the biofims of protection formed by Candida and makes them more sensitive to all the antifungal medications.
- In case of immunocompromised patients, curcumin plays an important role in treating Candida infections.