What would our life be without the yummy paranthas, pooris and yum chappatis that go so well with our curries? Hard to believe that people are unable to enjoy these goodies and all we can do is feel grateful that we do not fall in that category.
Why Are Some People Unable To Enjoy Certain Food Items?
Some of us are unable to digest gluten ( a protein found in wheat, rye and barley). Eating foods made of these products triggers an immune reaction in our body. If you have this reaction it means you have celiac disease/ sprue or coeliac.
What Is Celiac Disease?
It is an immune reaction to gluten, when you eat gluten it triggers an immune response in the small intestine. This reaction (over passage of time) damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents the absorption of some nutrients (malabsorption). This can affect the growth of children.
Signs and symptoms vary and are different in children and adults,
Adults may experience
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
Adults may also have symptoms not related to the digestive system. These are:
- Anemia, resulting from iron deficiency
- Loss of bone density(osteoporosis) or softening of bone (osteomalacia)
- Itchy, blistery skin rash
- Damage to enamel
- Mouth ulcers
- Reduced functioning of spleen
- Acid reflux or heartburn
- Joint pain
- Nervous system injury, including numbness and tingling of feet
Children (under two years) may experience:
- Chronic diarrhea
- Swollen belly
- Poor appetite
- Failure to thrive
- Muscle wasting
Other children might have:
- Weight loss
- Short stature
- Delayed puberty
- Neurological symptoms like ADHD, lack of muscle coordination and seizures
Genes, eating food with gluten and other environmental factors are considered to be the causative factors but researchers are still debating on this.
Sometimes celiac disease is triggered after pregnancy, surgery, viral infection or severe emotional stress.
When the immune system overreacts to gluten in food (small intestine is unable to produce enzyme to break down gluten) the reaction damages the tiny hair like projections called villi on the inner lining of the small intestine, the villi absorb vitamins and minerals, so if the villi is damaged your body does not get the right amount of nutrients and one does not get the required nutrients.
Celiac Disease Is More Common In People:
- With a family history of the disease
- Type I diabetes
- Down’s syndrome
- Autoimmune thyroid disease
- Addison’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Microscopic colitis
Celiac Disease Gives Rise To Many Complications:
- Loss of calcium and bone density
- Infertility and miscarriage
- Lactose intolerance
- Neurological problems like seizures, peripheral neuropathy
When To Consult Your Doctor?
If your diarrhea and indigestion lasts for more than two weeks you must visit your doctor, there are only two tests to diagnose Celiac disease:
- Serology test-for antibodies in the body.
- Genetic testing-for human leukocyte antigen to rule out celiac disease.
A strict gluten free diet is what one must follow to manage celiac disease you must also make TUMMYRIC from Bagdara Farms a part of your daily regimen.
TUMMYRIC Will Help Because:
- It is rich in the phytochemical Curcumin which is known for its potent anti-inflammatory property, thus reducing inflammation in the body.
- Curcumin is an efficient immune system booster, and it strengthens your immune system to prevent and damage.
- The anti-oxidant property of Curcumin in Tummyric prevents damage caused by oxidative stress.
- The anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory action of Curcumin in Tummyric strengthens and helps repair the intestinal walls damaged by gluten intolerance and lead to digestive problems.
- Tummyric is rich in dietary fibers and provides the body nutrients and minerals, thus ensuring that you get all the necessary nutrients.
- Tummyric aids in relieving symptoms of indigestion, abdominal bloating and abdominal pain.
- Tummyric also prevents inflammation of the gastric as well as intestinal wall
- Curcumin also helps check and control food allergies by strengthening the immune system.
- As an anti-oxidant it targets and kills free radicals thus preventing them from overwhelming the body’s ability to fight them and stopping oxidative stress. If unchecked this stress can lead to change in the body’s lipid and proteins.
With Tummyric you can manage celiac disease and stay healthy as it helps fight off the effects of the disease.